Friday, May 8, 2009

Everything you know is wrong (again)

More people are finding me on facebook now than twitter. I still don't really know how to effectively use facebook or twitter, so I continue to write this blog since writing lots of words, whether I succeed at communicating or not, is what I seem to be good at.

Yesterday, I signed the petition to encourage my federal representatives to support the use of VISTA as the core of a proposed new bill "Health Information Technology Public Utility Act of 2009"

Many, in the technical communities I travel in, find VISTA's core use of MUMPS as reason enough to ignore it. This is because MUMPS is an 'old' technology and everyone knows that old technology can't be as good as 'new' technology. Or at least we have built a market based on that, with computers 'lasting' just 3 to 5 years before they need to be replaced. That sort of technological imperative thinking is just too simplistic for me anymore.

(Bet you were wondering if I would get back to the title of this post :)

So, what else do we know that's wrong? One thing that really strikes me is the nearly universal notion that 'we have to get this economy back on it's feet'. I take that to mean, at it's simplest, that we need to get back to the way things were! You can see this everywhere: Banks are now making money so those high paid executives who created that innovative engine of growth, financial derivatives (say sub-prime mortgage's), need to be rewarded again. The automotive market simply has to re-structure itself for lower operating costs, as if alternative living, working and transportation arrangements that are demonstrably better along many important dimensions (health, energy consumption) no longer need to be encouraged. Finally, we need to spend a lot more 'stimulus' money to get all those retarded health care practitioners to adopt the latest technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment