Monday, March 16, 2009

Social Networking site's all blur together

Ok, so now that I have blogger linked to twitter and then I think I just linked twitter to facebook I am hoping that the twitter like part of facebook will actually come from twitter now!

In researching how to link all these things up, I ran into another strategy besides this feeder strategy that I am using now. That strategy to to signup for a social networking 'mega' site. This is a web mashup or something like a mashup that will consume all your other social networking sites. I don't know, but there is something about these mega sites that reminds of the day's when your browser vendor or search engine vendor wanted to offer you a 'portal'. I finally had to turn all those dang portal pages off, as waiting for the weather in Katmandu to load was plain stupid :)

So, anyway, back to the serial linking excercise. Now the link from blogger to twitter is done via a third party and is using openid. However, the link from facebook to twitter lives inside facebook (they must have a SDK or something) and asks you for your password. Now that is a very bad thing. Facebook, blogger and twitter themselves should all use openid and then we can all stop storing our passwords around the internet with companies large and small, who might someday go out of business and find a going away bonus for someone by selling a password database!

No comments:

Post a Comment