Monday, March 16, 2009

E-Bay scams

Well, as if having to wait for my money to clear was not bad enough, I now have to wait for my buyer to be re-assured by e-Bay that I am not a fraud before he will pay me. This could take up to 7 days.......
So, here is what happened. I listed an item, it sold. Shortly thereafter, the buyer received an e-mail from someone else claiming to be the buyer. That e-mail looked like this (I have removed the buyers identifing info):

"Hi buyer, My name is Ramsey Connor, I am the seller of the Item#xyz.

Unfortunately, immediately after the listing closed I got a Notification from eBay and I must warn you that my account is unavailable and you cannot pay for the item through Paypal as usual. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused and I would be more than willing to help you to complete the transaction immediately. Now I am located in United Kingdom because I have to sign a contract with a company and I know the mainspring of the paypal problem was caused because my account was accessed from different locations, while travelling to UK. Anyway we have a solution, payment approved by eBay for this transaction is Western Union Money Transfer so you can send the payment in a few minutes.

To send a wire transfer you need my full name: RAMSEY CONNOR and country: United Kingdom. You will deduct the transfer fees from the total and you will send the remaining amount. If you want to send the payment with your credit card check the following link for more details:

https://wumt.westernunion.com/WUCOMWEB/staticMid.do?"




So, this URL is embedded and seems to actually go to westernunion.com. Which means someone is actually linked up to a WU account. I can only assume that they are setting up and tearing down accounts rapidly, so that they can keep on doing this scam and WU will know who this account belonged to, at least briefly. Maybe, the account itself is hijacked...But somehwere the money trail via account numbers can be followed and there is a person on the other end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He got me too. 295 bucks

Post a Comment