Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Retirement update, 1.5 years in.

I am in a good place, with Kathie, in Georgia near her extended family.  We have a fairly rich life with family, new friends and the classes we have taken with the Brenau University Learning and Leisure Institute and the trips with it's hiking club every month.

I had an amazing backlog of books to read and several tech projects before retirement but I have not found the time yet for them.  I think my book backlog is actually bigger now.

Vacations still seem like vacations and are just as infrequent as when we worked.  When I am at home, I don't feel like I am on vacation even though I am not working.

We are still trying to maintain the budget we created at retirement, it's not happened yet, but I don't feel stressed by money.  Through out the day I have occasions when I feel like I am supposed to get back to work, but then I can't figure out what that might be.  I don't follow IT technology as much as I used to and things are advancing away from me there.  I am still keeping up with digital photography, technically at least, and am trying to bring some art into my work.

I have done some PC work for my Brother-in-Law, Joe, so I still know some computer troubleshooting and repair.  I built a faster PC with a motherboard/processor swap and added a GPU to the mix.  (Yes, I do have several photo software packages that can use the GPU)  I have set up a home server and debugged it and just to prove that you can't be paranoid enough I purchased a CrashPlan family license and set that up.  I discovered the author's of CrashPlan, code42 when I worked for the Medical School.   We set up an in house system behind the firewall of the Health Systems network to offer workstation backup (PC, Mac and Linux) to our faculty and staff.  Our sysadmins liked it too and used it as a second backup for some of our Linux servers.  CrashPlan does do encryption before it sends data out so really no HIPPA worries there.

 The personal client is quite nice, it has a scheduler and the ability to do multiple backups either to any attached drive or anyone else's computer running the client via a security  token that you share, this is on top of code42's cloud servers.  For no money then, as the client is free, one could set up a peer to peer backup system.

Well, that's the summary and I am sure I neglected to talk about something much more important than backup systems, but right now, I can't think of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment